January 22, 2018
To: Student Success Initiative Steering Committee Members
Roy Haggerty, Dean, College of Science, Co-Chair
Dan Larson, Interim Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Co-Chair
Lois Brooks, Vice Provost for Information and Technology
Carlos Jensen, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, College of Engineering
Roberta Marinelli, Dean, College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences
Prem Mathew, Associate Dean, College of Business
Jesse Nelson, Associate Provost for Academic Achievement
Javier Nieto, Dean, College of Public Health and Human Sciences
Susana Rivera-Mills, Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Learning Innovation
Kristin Watkins, Associate Vice President of Development, OSU Foundation
From: Edward Feser, Provost and Executive Vice President
Student Success Initiative Steering Committee (SSI Steering Committee) will be co-chaired by Roy Haggerty, Dean of Science, and Dan Larson, Interim Vice Provost for Student Affairs. Jen Humphreys, Executive Assistant to Dan Larson, will provide administrative support to the committee. Committee members will serve a one-year renewable term.
The SSI Steering Committee will oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive university-wide plan to advance OSU’s undergraduate student success goals. Upon adoption, the committee will oversee progress—and report periodically—on the plan’s implementation.
Specifically, the committee will:
- Review SSI-related initiatives and actions taken centrally and in the colleges, solicit the advice of OSU staff and faculty who are delivering student support on the ground or operating or directing support systems, and identify those actions and initiatives that are most likely to yield significant impact relative to resources expended;
- Ask faculty who are providing core student support via their teaching, advising and mentoring what they need in order to be more impactful in providing that support;
- Determine the appropriate balance between improving core functional administrative services and investing in SSI special initiatives and interventions;
- Identify and recommend initiatives or programs that should be ceased or closed to free resources to scale up higher impact activities and/or core supports;
- Adopt, as appropriate, lessons learned via the University Innovation Alliance;
- Develop success metrics for tracking the success of initiatives and interventions;
- Form work groups and engage central administrative units, colleges and the OSU Foundation as necessary to advance the committee’s work;
- Recommend a strategy and plan that clearly articulates goals, actions, responsible parties, budgets and milestones;
- Execute a process, and genuinely engage OSU leadership, faculty, staff and partners (e.g., the OSU Foundation and INTO OSU), such that ownership of necessary actions is held by those who will determine those actions’ success.
The committee’s initial recommended plan, including timeline and strategy for implementation, will be due no later than 4 May 2018. After adoption, the committee will provide updates on the plan’s implementation on a quarterly basis, while also periodically refining and revising the plan based on observed outcomes.