Documents related to OSU building and place name evaluation process
- Recommendations to the Architectural Naming Committee for a Renaming Request Evaluation Process, March 13, 2017 (PDF)
- Renaming Request Evaluation Process Flowchart (PDF)
Guide to historical sources regarding buildings and place names
The OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center (SCARC) is home to the university’s unique collections of manuscripts, archives, photographs, digital records and books. Included within SCARC collections is documentation of the campus buildings as well as biographical information regarding building namesakes. The OSU Buildings History - SCARC Archival Resources Guide is a compilation of the known records within SCARC's collections pertaining to four campus buildings: Arnold Dining Hall, Avery Lodge, Benton Hall and Gill Coliseum.
University messages regarding the building and place names
- Building name meetings and historical reports
- TIME CORRECTION: Please attend March 13 meeting on controversial building names
- Participate in discussions regarding building names
- Building Name Process to be undertaken in fall term
Building news nationwide
It is important to situate this work within a larger national context. Colleges and universities throughout the country are being asked to confront and reconcile their connections to exclusionary parts of history. Oregon State joins the University of Michigan, Yale University, University of Virginia, the University of Oregon and many other institutions in this important endeavor. We embrace this task as we seek to create a community animated by accountability, integrity and respect. Below are a number of articles pertaining to the conversations occuring across the country.
- "How Colleges are Turning Their Racist Pasts into Teaching Opportunities"
- "In Explaining Confederate Symbols, Colleges Struggle to Summarize History"
- "Many Colleges Profited from Slavery, What Can They Do About It Now?"
- "Why Aren't There More Black People in Oregon?"
- "After Brown University's Report on Slavery, Silence (So Far)"
- "Stained by Slavery: How Craig Steven Wilder Exposed Higher Education's Past"
George Mason University
- "George Mason University Will Rename Law School After Antonin Scalia"
- "Faced with Unfortunate Acronym, George Mason Renames Law School, Again"
- "George Mason Faculty Calls on Leaders to Abandon Scalia Name for Law School"
- "George Mason's Plans to Honor Scalia Spark Protests Over University's Direction"
University of Oregon
- "Fuller Picture of Deady's Life Complicates Decision to Rename University of Oregon Building"
- "University of Oregon Trustees Hear Impassioned Plea to Retain Deady Name on Campus Building"
- Process for Considering the Demaning of Deady and Dunn Halls
- Deady Hall and Update on Black Students' Demands
U. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Westfield State University
- Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Request for Committee and Board Action
- Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Approval of BHE Naming Rights Policy